Job Announcement Number
Job Availability Date Range
Who May Apply
Open to all qualified United States citizens who are not currently employed with NOAA as wage mariner employees. Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
Second Cooks are responsible to clean, prepare, and cook in accordance with planned menus, assuring meals are fresh and hot at serving time. Assist with baking duties; prepare night lunches and box lunches for field parties. Maintains mess and galley, food preparation equipment, storage areas and cooking equipment in a clean, orderly and sanitary condition including washing dishes, silver, pots, pans, and glassware; disposes of galley and mess garbage. Assist in estimating provisions; assist in purchases and inventory of stores. Prepare tables for meals and cleans up after meals. Performs laundry duties as directed. Performs other mission-related duties as assigned, including duties related to the safety of the vessel and personnel.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Applicant must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age.
- Possess a current and valid United States Coast Guard Merchant Mariners Credential endorsed with:
- • Entry Level ratings - OS, Wiper, Steward Utilityman (FH)
- Applicant must possess one (1) year of experience:
- • Serving meals, cleaning galley messes. General cooking and baking, food preparation. (Restaurant or shipboard experience).
- Applicant must possess Food Protection Manager Certificate or equivalent within the last three years.
- Applicant must meet physical requirements prior to appointment.
- Applicant must pass drug testing prior to appointment.
- Applicant must be able to obtain and hold a US Passport.
- Must meet Federal suitability standards.
- Must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable (www.sss.gov).
Conditions of Employment
As a conditional of employment, your position will be a Mixed Tour position. Mixed Tour of duty is a combination of full time, part time and intermittent work schedules which allows the best utilization of resources based on the work requirements of the organization. You will be required to sign a Mixed Tour Agreement.
Once selected, you may be sent to any vessel nationwide. There is no guarantee that you will be assigned to any particular vessel or geographic location, however, your duty location will be determined by your home of record or ship’s home port. Duty locations are Norfolk, VA; Charleston, SC; Woods Hole, MA; Pascagoula, MS; Newport, OR; Kodiak, AK; Ketchikan, AK; San Diego, CA; Honolulu, HI; Davisville, RI; New Castle, NH.
A one year Trial period may be required.
Appointment to a Testing Designated Position.
Applicants who meet the Minimum Eligibility Requirements described above will be further evaluated. Documented knowledge, skills, and abilities along with experience, education, training, and awards contained in the application package and resume will be reviewed and rated to determine The Knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) are as follows:
- Knowledge of galley or commercial kitchen sanitation procedures.
- Knowledge of management and receiving of provisions.
- Ability to prepare proper meals based upon planned menus.
- Skill in computer, oral, and written communication.
To earn the highest rating possible, you are encouraged to submit detailed information in response to the KSAs listed above. This is an open continuous announcement. Applications will be considered as vacancies occur.
How to Apply
Failure to provide the required information requested for this position will adversely affect your eligibility. Federal job applicants who make a false statement in any part of the application could be turned down for the job; removed after beginning work; or subject to fine, imprisonment (U.S. Code, title 18, section 1001), or other disciplinary action.
NOAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All applicants meeting minimum qualifications will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.