Third Assistant Engineer
Job Announcement Number
Job Availability Date Range
Who May Apply
Open to all qualified United States citizens who are not currently employed with NOAA as wage mariner employees. Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
Third Assistant Engineer directs and performs maintenance and repair work on the Engineering Department's ship systems in accordance with manufacturers and shipbuilder's technical manuals and NOAA policy as directed by supervising engineer. Directs the activities of unlicensed engineering personnel while on watch or performing maintenance. Responsible for the maintenance and operational requirements that ensure safe and effective operation of the engineering, electrical, or electrical systems that may be assigned to him/her. Keeps required records, logs, and reports. Stands engine room watches at sea or in port; may be on call during non-normal duty hours as required. Performs other mission related duties as assigned, including duties related to the safety of the vessel and personnel.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
1. Applicant must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age.
2. Possess a current and valid United States Coast Guard Merchant Mariners Credential endorsed with:
•Third Assistant Engineer, Motor of 3000 Horsepower up to Unlimited Horsepower.
•Assistant Engineer (Limited) Ocean.
3. Applicant must meet physical requirements prior to appointment.
4. Applicant must pass drug testing prior to appointment.
5. Applicant must be able to obtain and hold a US Passport.
6. Must meet Federal suitability standards.
7. Must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable (www.sss.gov).
Conditions of Employment
As a conditional of employment, your position will be a Mixed Tour position. Mixed Tour of duty is a combination of full time, part time and intermittent work schedules which allows the best utilization of resources based on the work requirements of the organization. You will be required to sign a Mixed Tour Agreement.
Once selected, you may be sent to any vessel nationwide. There is no guarantee that you will be assigned to any particular vessel or geographic location, however, your duty location will be determined by your home of record or ship’s home port. Duty locations are Norfolk, VA; Charleston, SC; Woods Hole, MA; Pascagoula, MS; Newport, OR; Kodiak, AK; Ketchikan, AK; San Diego, CA; Honolulu, HI; Davisville, RI; New Castle, NH.
A one year Trial period may be required.
Appointment to a Testing Designated Position.
Applicants who meet the Minimum Eligibility Requirements described above will be further evaluated. Documented knowledge, skills, and abilities along with experience, education, training, and awards contained in the application package and resume will be reviewed and rated to determine
The Knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) are as follows:
1. Applied knowledge of engineering to ensure proper operation, monitoring,repair, and maintenance of engine machinery, equipment, and spaces.
2. Ability to organize, coordinate, direct, evaluate, and assess the work of others.
3. Analytical skills to troubleshoot, operate, and repair assigned ship equipmentand to interpret technical manuals, blueprints, etc.
4. Oral and written communication skills as well as computer skills, includingdemonstrated ability to use common shipboard applications (e.g. ShipboardAutomated Maintenance Management (SAMM) system, Microsoft Office Exceland Word, etc.).
To earn the highest rating possible, you are encouraged to submit detailed information in response to the KSAs listed above.
This is an open continuous announcement. Applications will be considered as vacancies occur.
How to Apply
Failure to provide the required information requested for this position will adversely affect your eligibility. Federal job applicants who make a false statement in any part of the application could be turned down for the job; removed after beginning work; or subject to fine, imprisonment (U.S. Code, title 18, section 1001), or other disciplinary action.
NOAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All applicants meeting minimum qualifications will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.