Cyberflash: May 29, 2015
This week, I would like to introduce a new member of the NOAA Corps family, LCDR Nathan D. "Shaka" Kahn. LCDR Kahn transferred from the U.S. Navy to the NOAA Corps on 01 May 2015. Prior to entering service with the DoC and NOAA, he was on active duty for 12 years as a P-3C pilot for the Navy. His previous tours include Special Projects Patrol Squadron TWO (VPU-2), Patron Squadron THIRTY (VP-30), Patrol Squadron FORTY-SIX, and flight training in Pensacola, FL and Corpus Chirsti, TX.
While serving the Navy, LCDR Kahn operated on or over 6 of the 7 continents and accrued almost 3,000 flight hours in the P-3 aircraft. His personal awards include the Air Medal (4th Strike Flight Award), Navy-Marine Corps Commendation Medal, and Navy-Marine Corps Achievement Medal, and various unit commendations.
LCDR Kahn is a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, Class of 2003. Welcome Aboard!
CAPT Lawrence T. Krepp, NOAA
NEW Cornerstone on Demand Commerce Learn Center LIVE June 1st
The new Department of Commerce Learn Center (CLC) will be live on 01 June 2015, the previous Oracle/Learn.COM version will be retired 31 May 2015.
- The new CLC will be NOT be fully operational and will likely take until June 30th before all the current courses, OMAO pages, customer/individual accounts, and transcripts are in-place and running properly. Getting the LCDR, LT and LTJG learning plans ("curricula" in the new system) are a top priority to get up and operational by mid June.
- The new CLC capabilities will be released in a phased approach and will not be considered fully operational until 1st or 2nd Qtr FY16 when online and integrated SF-182s and IDPs are available.
- NOAA WMFO and the Chief Learning Officer (CLO) will keep you updated via Cyberflash, the OMAO training portal, and email updates.
Important to know:
- If you have not made a copy of your transcript yet, the Oracle/Learn.COM system will be available until the afternoon of May 31st. Guidance to back up your transcript is on the OMAO Training Portal.
- If your course transcript has missing items after the transition, please wait until 30 June 2015 and recheck before reporting to the OMAO CLO. On or after 30 June 2015, please provide a copy of your certification of completion or Oracle/Learn.COM transcript with items highlighted to OMAO.CLO@NOAA.GOV.
- OMAO will have its own home page to help streamline finding materials. Officers outside of OMAO will be directed to the NOAA home page or NWS home page based on your assigned line office.
Aviation Advisory Board - Medical Clearance
As part of the aviation screening process, a flight physical must be completed and reviewed by the AOC Aviation Medical Officer (AMO). For aviation candidates this process needs to be completed prior to the Aviation Advisory Board (AAB). It is recommended to begin this process early to allow time for medical follow-up if necessary. AOC’s current AMO is LT Paul Hoffman. If you have any questions he can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 813-828-4116 (office) or 931-216-7141 (cell).
Part-time University Training (PUT) Opportunity
As a reminder, the deadline for submitting the PUT application form to the Director, CPC, is 30 May 2015. The original announcement for this opportunity was announced 30 April 2015 via Message from the Director, CPC. The application form is available on the CPC Website. Any questions can be directed to CDR Zegowitz, Chief, OCMD.
On the Horizon
- 30 May 2015
PUT Request Deadline
- 31 May 2015
Aviation Application Package Deadline
- 26 June 2015
Aviation Advisory Board
- 27 July 2015
BOTC 126 Begins
Approved Resignations, Separations and Retirements
- LT Christine Schultz
31 May 2015
- LCDR Phillip Eastman
01 June 2015
- ENS Daniel Hodge
15 June 2015
- LCDR Abigail Winz
13 July 2015
- LCDR Nicole Lambert
31 July 2015
- ENS Roxanne Carter
18 August 2015
- LTJG Jennifer Barre
21 August 2015