Objective: To introduce personnel to NOAA Dive Leadership and to become competent, confident, and qualified NOAA Divemasters.
Note: The NOAA Diving Program (NDP) provides training primarily to NOAA employees that are authorized by their supervisors to dive as part of their job description. However, NDP also welcomes federal, state, and local government employees for a fee into its courses as space permits. Please contact email@example.com(link sends e-mail) for updated fees if you are not a NOAA employee. Classes are not open to the public.
Upcoming course dates can be found on the website calendar, or on this Google Calendar.
The NOAA Divemaster course is an intensive two-week program designed to help students develop the leadership skills necessary to safely and effectively plan and supervise NOAA diving activities. During the course students receive substantial theoretical and practical instruction aimed at exposing them to a variety of equipment, tasks, situations, and environments typically encountered as NOAA Divemasters. Students are evaluated on their management of diving operations and response to emergency situations and must pass a final written examination in order to receive certification.
This class is taught concurrently with the last two weeks of the NOAA Diver course in order for the Divemaster candidates to gain practical experience in directing actual diving operations.
Lectures/Hands-on Topics Covered:
- Acccident Causation
- Operational Risk Management
- Diver Leadership, Planning & Operations
- NOAA Dive Accident Management
- NOAA Field Reference Guide
- Ships Husbandry
- NOAA/OSHA Diving Regulations
- Lead & Supervise Dive Operations
- PRe-dive Equipment Checks & Troubleshooting
- Neurological Exams
- Problem Management and Counseling
- Line Tending of Standby Divers
- Oxygen Administration
- Back-Boarding & Spinal Immobilization
- Use of an AED
- Extraction practical/remove injured divers from water
- Extract a diver, 'perform' CPR and Administer 100% Oxygen during diving operations.
- Curent NOAA Diver certification
- Current CPR, AED and first aid certificates
- Laptop or tablet to access student materials and exams online
- Wrist watch or other timing device
- Cutting device
- Closed-toe shoes
- Outdoor clothing for various weather conditions
All application materials must be RECEIVED by the NOAA Diving Center 30 days prior to the course start date. They can be e-mailed to the Diving Center at Support.NDC@NOAA.gov.
- NF 57-03-38, Training Request and Authorization Form
- Copies of your CPR, AED & first aid certificates (these should be current through the end of class)
Registered Divemaster Students
Preparing for your NOAA divemaster Class (downloadable .pdf tip sheet)