Documents Required for Operation
The Small Boat Safety Board has identified several administrative documents that must be carried on board, or filed ashore prior to getting underway.
- Boat Specific Small Boat Operations Manual (SBOM): Each small boat must carry onboard a boat-specific Operations Manual
- Baseline Risk Assessment (Reviewed Annually)
- Mission Based Risk Assessment (Updated when change in operation)
- Annual Small Boat Evaluation (ASBE)
- Small Boat Examination (SBEX) Completed by an authorized inspector as required
- Additional information found in Section 14 of the SBS&PM
- Small Boat Operator (SBO) and Crewmember Authorization Forms
- Small Boat Log
- Small Boat Stability Log
- Small Boat Rigging Log
Daily Required Documents
- Float Plan
- GAR Risk Assessment
- Safety Briefing
- NOAA Small Boat Safety Orientation Briefing Template
- Additional information found in Section 3 of the SBS&PM
- Optional - Voluntary Health Questionnaire
Placards Required for Operation
- All motorized small boats must have a sign or placard, prohibiting the discharge of oil or oily waste per 33 CFR 155.450. These signs can be purchased at most marine supply stores.
- All motorized small boats must have a sign or placard, listing regulations for discharging garbage per Annex V of MARPOL. These signs can be purchased at most marine supply stores.