The NOAA Diving Program (NDP) provides training primarily to NOAA employees that are authorized by their supervisors to dive as part of their job description. However, NDP also welcomes federal, state, and local government employees into its courses as space permits. Classes are not open to the public.
NOAA diving courses are provided by highly qualified NOAA Diving Center instructors with decades of combined experience in commercial, recreational, military, and scientific diving and teaching. They are dedicated to teaching basic and advanced skills with a step by step approach emphasizing safety, consistency, and efficiency. The NOAA Diving Center provides training in basic and advanced diving, working and scientific techniques, as well as in diving medicine and first aid.
Training is provided by the NOAA Diving Center (NDC) various locations:
- Core training at NDC in Seattle, WA
- Location-specific training in the field
- Online refreshers (to maintain NOAA authorization to dive)
- Training videos
NOAA Diver Training is primarily taught in Seattle, Washington at the NOAA Diving Center during May and September, and in Florida in January. All courses include some weekends. To find out when the classes are scheduled to take place, please visit our calendar.
Note:There are no fees associated with these classes for NOAA employees. All other government agencies should contact the NOAA Diving Center (firstname.lastname@example.org) for exact prices.
DAN Diving First Aid for Professional Divers Instructor
NOAA Diving Center Instructors provide ad hoc instruction to divers in the field as needed. Past training has included tethered communications, introduction to hyperbaric stretchers, and diving refreshers. NOAA Unit Diving Supervisors should contact the NOAA Diving Center to discuss any particular needs.
In addition, a select group of Unit Diving Supervisors and advanced divers have received instruction from the NOAA Diving Center to provide training to currently certified divers who are not yet familiar with diving procedures at NOAA. Completion of this field training with a NOAA Diving Trainer allows the candidate to become a NOAA Diver.
This particular type of training is arranged through the diver’s Unit Diving Supervisor.
Current NOAA Diving Trainers
- Raymond C. Boland (808-725-5716) - Honolulu, HI
- Julie Bursek (805-893-6422) - Santa Barbara, CA
- Andrew David (850-234-6541 x208) - Panama City, FL
- Caitlin Langwiser (680-480-0614) - Miami, FL
- LTJG Emily Bell ENS (619-573-2009) - Key Largo, FL
- Chad King (831-647-4248) - Monterey, CA
- Matthew Lawrence (305-434-9383) - Scituate, MA
- Steve Lonhart (831-420-3661) - Santa Cruz, CA
- Andrew Mason (240-533-0357) - Silver Spring, MD
- Scott Mau (858-546-5645) - La Jolla, CA
- Sean Meehan (727-824-5330) - St. Petersburg, FL
- Marissa Nuttall (409-621-5151) - Galveston, TX
- LTJG Kristin Raja (805-893-6426) - Santa Barbara, CA
- Kerry Reardon (808-725-5465) - Honolulu, HI
- Kimberly Roberson (912-598-2382) - Savannah, GA
- Barry Smith (203-882-6589) - Milford, CT
- Mitchell Tartt (301-713-7284) - Silver Spring, MD
- Nick Tolimieri (206-302-2444) - Seattle, WA
- Valerie Brown (684-633-6500) - Honolulu, HI
NOAA Divers must complete and pass annual refreshers in order to maintain their NOAA Diver certification current. In addition, CPR and first aid certification must be renewed either annually or every two years, depending on the certification received.
We are currently revamping the online refreshers and will soon have a suite of new and improved materials. In the meantime, refresher training materials can be viewed by logging in to the NOAA Dive Log (NDL) and clicking on the "References" tab at the top of the page. Completion of the training should be logged on your Annual Training Record and submitted to your UDS.
All NOAA Divers are required to take the following annual courses:
- NOAA Diving Standards, Policies, and Procedures
- NOAA No-decompression Tables for Multiple Air Dives
- Rescue Techniques
- Recognition and Treatment of Diving Accidents and Injuries
- Oxygen Administration (this link will take you to the Commerce Learning Center (CLC) course page)
In addition to the courses listed above, all NOAA Divemasters must complete annual training on the following subjects:
- Field Neurological Examination
- Diving Accident Management